Friday, October 06, 2006

Prayer and Consequence

What could we say about the non-linear chronology of skateboard-emperors, beer-whisky-boilermakers, picket fence mortgages, and wisdom teeth?

What do we do with snake and ladder knick knacks piled in 2nd hand stores, painted Madonna babies and sofa designs?

There is a photo-documented lineage of wealth and pain, loss and gain.

The beliefs and memories are often abandoned like feral children in the moonless night.

Sometimes visions are like clouds shaped as tigers or eight legged cats that frantically claw at the terrifying steel wings of loneliness, sin and destruction.

Other times they are the starting-stopping lost potential in the cyclic karmic carnival merry-go-round.

Train wrecked words overlap in the minds of prairie-sky and muddy-water men.

They won’t fret over floods, mosquitoes and blizzards, when lost in that mysterious, savage reality.

Flat bucket-bass lines jigsaw the contours of self perpetuating, self prophesizing misery, mingled with ambition, rage, coincidence and fate.

The latex on life’s plywood door is bleached and peeling from the intensity of the truthful light and time.

It can no longer hide the titanic birds, and reveals that even instinctual migration patterns inevitably change.

We can’t hide it in the basement forever sucking the nitrous oxide of social comparison and justifying our indulgence.

No obsessed sasquatch-rebel letters to the editor, or bawling, pain spattered guitar can stop the leaky roof, or the dying amphibians, that even now, are piling up on the newly laid floor.

So we make our videos for the blind, while the broken faces of the seven seas whisper a lullaby to a tiny pocket sketchbook, full of indomitable mountains that mock us with their sublime jagged laughter.

The dream isn’t dying, it’s waking up.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

You the MAN!

Anonymous said...

I almost think that this is the best poem/prayer that has graced this blog.

D.Macri said...

Oh, I wouldn't go that far, but thanks for the compiment. I posted this and deleted it twice before I mustered the courage to leave it be. I don't know why I'm so timid about writing. I wouldn't have any second guessing about posting a mediocre or even "bad" drawing. =P

D. Sky Onosson said...

I sense a lot of references to stuff that has gone on in this blog, which is cool. Or maybe I just like to read into things....

Anonymous said...

I got that sense too, and I read into everything.

:)

And I'm serious Macri, this is SuperStrong.

Keep going and I'll have to rage when confronted by your word prowess.

Can you imagine if the word becomes YOUR powerAnimal?

Word.

Ryan K said...

I was super timid about putting my stuff out there for a long time too Dave. Even with a degree in English and a college diploma heralding me as some kind of accomplished "Creative Communicator" I was reluctant. Anyways, I just wanted to say in my highly educated opinion: you done good boy, thanks for sharing, and don't be shy 'cause your imagry is great (very painterly). I look forward to reading more.

Anonymous said...

wow, these words feel like our collective voice. simply amazing Mr.Micro, simply amazing. Our group voice has just awoken, it's everything at once, so well harmonised, gelling our ideas, and our downfalls, our hopes and fears. yikes. (more, more, more, or is less more?)

I agree that this is one of the best word posts yet. no offense to you 'writers' out there, but micro just raised the frick'in bar

D.Macri said...

I appreciate the nice things you say, and there is supposed to be reference to things from the blog. Your compliments make me feel more confident about putting words up on here.

Still I'd rather we didn't compare it to other writing. I don't think there is a "bar". It isn't high jump. Self improvement is fine, but we aren't in competition with each other. It is meant to be colaborative in a sense. Not quite a "group voice", but about the groups voice.

Either way, thanks.

TheBlueMask said...

Bravo Micro!
mysterious, savage, and real!

I agree with you about not comparing. It`s all about the beholder`s eyeballs right?
Comparing art wwouldn`t be tolerated, why should writing?
Nonetheless, it`s a fantastic pile of words.

Ted said...

The imagery is wonderful…

ands speaks to so many things and maintains a cohesive form.

Thanks for this one.

J C said...

Oh, we SHOULD be comparing and contrasting and juxtaposing and competing. to no end, there will never be a final winner, but I think for the moment this is our champion and we should hold it high.

I mean, you put up a Freud, we say it makes us think of a waterman. There is familiarity by comparison.

And...I think this writing is more comparitive to song. or a speech. The writing on this blog has been mostly poetry or rants of biography.

This piece is different. (forgive me if i attempt to define it a little). It's a testimonial of the blog and its people. I think I like it mostly because it differs from every other word based thing on here, as well as unites all our group thoughts. What a dicotomy!

The only thing it shares with 'other writing' is that it uses words.

And I think Micro is right when he says its not necessarily our harmonized voices together but rather about our group voice. It's about the group, but almost from the outside. Perhaps I like it because of its like it is written by the fly on the wall of it all.

This piece is collaborative, a collage of words of our signs and symbols that define who we are/were/will be. Biographical narrative.

And yet it also can be none of those things. Nounless.

Anonymous said...

Man, every time I read this is just f'n gets me.

Wells me up Micro, f'n good stuff.

:)

cara said...

Beautiful.
This is the kind of piece you can savour.

How can it be compared?

TheBlueMask said...

ok, the winner dies last? I need a goal before entering a competition!
It`s a fun read that appeals to us(for me)
stage 1-
you read it and enjoy the seemingly odd but comfortable collection of narrative
step 2- you think "wait a minute, some of these subjects sound familiar"
step 3- you re-read it with those familiarities in mind
step 4- try to find the section about yourself
step 5- re-read again, and try to decypher everyone else.
step 6- re-read yet again with all our detective work and realize there are no real questions or anwsers posed, more mere observation.
step - 7 light a smoke.

Stan Dangerman said...

this is tee-riffic. (i give a 1.9 metre equivalency rating on the "high jump bar" ratio).

i really like how almost every single one of us at one time or another tries and posts both visual and written creations.

Stan Dangerman said...

for e.g., see h2o-man above.

Anonymous said...

oh, by the way, those weren't dangerman comments. not sure why they showed up under his name other than that i'm on his computer.

anyway, those last two were wolf-ish comments.